Winter Stew of Fenland Celery, Chorizo and
Cannellini Beans, serves 4-6
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 6 shallots, sliced
• 250g chorizo, cut into 2cm slices
• 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• ½ head Fenland celery, each stalk cut
into 3 pieces, plus a few leaves for
• 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
• 500g dried cannellini beans, soaked
overnight in cold water
• 2 bay leaves
• Salt & freshly ground black pepper
• Small bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly
MAKING CARBS COUNT
Recipe from www.fenlandcelery.com
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan
and sweat the shallots until soft and
translucent but not coloured at all.
2. Add the chorizo, turn up the heat a little
and continue frying until the chorizo
and shallots are lightly caramelized.
3. Add the garlic, smoked paprika and
Fenland celery and fry for a further
minute before pouring in the stock.
4. Finally add the drained beans and
tuck in the bay leaves. Bring up to
the boil and simmer steadily until the
beans are soft and tender. This could
take anything between an hour and
an hour and a half depending on the
dryness and age of the beans. Keep
an eye on it and add a little cold
water if it looks a bit dry at any stage.
5. When the beans are cooked, stir
through the flat leaf parsley,season
to taste with salt and freshly ground
black pepper. Serve in deep bowls
scattered with a few celery leaves.
Total carbs 240g as there are carbs in
the beans as well as the sweet potato.
If served as four portions they would be
60g each, if six portions then 40g each.